Friday, May 22, 2015

Comfort Food



 Over the past few weeks I have been making dinner's for my nephew's.  They have had a lot to deal
with since the death of their Dad, (my ex-brother-in-law), cleaning out his house and all the other details.  Cooking is something I can do for them so they don't have to think about that at the end of an emotionally and physically exhausting day.

The other day when they were coming for dinner, I asked the Lord to help me figure out what to fix.  Mind you this was at about three in the afternoon.  I had some left over rotisserie chicken and I wanted to do something different with it than what I normally do, fried chicken roll ups, which are very good by the way.  I asked the Lord to help me and the idea of pizza popped into my head.

I had some red bell peppers so I sauteed them with some onions.  I made my pizza crust from scratch.  Very easy and so much better!  To assemble the pizza I rolled out the crust, spread some oil on it, and used Cesar dressing as my sauce. Then for cheese I used a mixture of monterey jack and Mexican cheese blend.  Put on my sauteed peppers and onions, then shredded up some chicken and put it on top.  I baked it on the bottom rack in a very hot oven of between 450 and 500 degrees.  That makes the crust nice and crispy and cooked all the way thru.  It smelled so good and looked very pretty when I took it out of the oven.  The best part is it tasted so good!  The Lord has such good ideas!  :)

The Lord has given me the ability to cook and it has been a joy for me to use it to serve my nephew's during this very difficult time. 

I may have shared my pizza crust recipe before, but will share it again.

2C warm water
2T yeast (or two pkgs)
pinch sugar, let sit for 5 to 10 minutes
Then add 3T oil (olive or canola)
1T garlic (optional.  I used minced garlic)
Mix in 5 cups of flour, a cup at a time.
When you get enough flour in it, dump it out on a well floured counter and kneed in the rest of the flour
until the dough is no longer sticky.  Cover it with the bowl you mixed it in and let it sit for about 20 minutes.  Then roll out for your crust. 

This will make enough for two pizza crusts, so just cut in half to make one crust.  :)

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Yummy! I can smell the pizza now! ;) A great recipe to ease the hunger pain and a great time to be with family to ease the pain of loss. Thank you for being such a wonderful aunt! Love you lots and miss you a ton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danyele! Love and miss you too. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you Aunt Jill. Those meals were incredibly delicious and full of love.

    ReplyDelete