Saturday, February 1, 2014

Starbucks at Home

Yesterday I didn't have to work so I had a couple of friends in for coffee.  As I was preparing I had the idea (the Holy Spirit at work) to make my living room like we were sitting at Starbucks.  So I asked my husband to turn on our gas fireplace, (there is more to it than just flipping a switch) and I arranged three chairs in front of it and put an end table in the middle.  I got out my nice china cups and made some cranberry scones and we had a very nice time sitting by the fire drinking our coffee, eating our scones and talking the morning away.  It was so much fun and my friends said that it was better than Starbucks!

Now so I don't get Starbucks mad at me, I enjoy going to Starbucks and do.  But for yesterday this was a nice alternative.

Next time I will try to think ahead and take a picture so I can include that in my post.

I got the recipe for the scones from my cousin (by marriage) sister.  For some reason I used to think that Scones were hard to make, but they aren't.  Its basically like making biscuits.

Darcie's Cranberry Scones

2 C flour
2 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/2 C butter
2/3 C buttermilk (I like to let my buttermilk sit out for a little while, overnight is okay before baking with it)
1/2 C dried cranberries (or more)

Mix the dry ingredients, cut in butter until crumbly.  Add cranberries, mix in buttermilk.
 Pat dough into an 8" round on floured surface.  Cut into 8 pie wedges, place on lightly greased baking
sheet.  Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. (I don't sprinkle on the sugar)
Bake at 400 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.  Be careful not to over bake.

So Good!!
 

2 comments:

  1. Very cool idea!! Can I come have coffee at Jill's "Starbucks" tomorrow? I am soooooo enjoying your blog!!!! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Sounds cozy and fun. :) And the scones sound really yummy. Gracie and I are throwing a tea party for Valentines Day with her cousins and I was looking for tea party food ideas. I think these scones will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete